One of the good things that investment managers do for their Clients is provide individual security selection and management. What this means is they take into account individual needs and wants when they build an investment portfolio.
Recently, we started working with a firm, who does the same thing. This firm takes into account the needs of a Client and builds a portfolio that is built for each Client on an individual basis.
When building portfolios for an individual you can do the following 6 things:
- Use individual securities instead of mutual funds to build the portfolio.
- Manage the portfolio in a manner that adjustments can be made quickly and with the Clients wants and risk tolerance in mind.
- Manage investments for their tax effect on a very efficient basis.
- Take into account individual feelings about different sectors in the market. You can build a socially responsible portfolio easily.
- Easily use risk management tools so a portfolio does not perform as poorly as a pure relative return account. The portfolio managers can set levels for automatic equity sales
- The portfolio manager can move the invested assets among any sector in the entire market. If the portfolio manager sees an opportunity in any stock or bond, they can move the investments to that sector.
Using an investment manager doesn’t guarantee that you’ll never lose money. What they do is work with you on developing a portfolio of investments that fits your risk profile; using assets you approve of and have the ability to change investments easily as market conditions change. And, they can do this on a tax effective manner by paying attention to matching losses with winners.
It’s interesting to note that there are now firms who provide customized portfolio management for those with a portfolio of $1,000,000 or more.
As always, we’re interested in having a conversation to see how you manage your investment portfolio. Contact us through our contact button or send us an email to Jpatrick@stage2planning.com.